Jewelry Care Tips & Tricks - Basic Jewelry Care Guide
- Apply lotion, cosmetics, hairspray and perfume before dressing in jewelry.
- When undressing, wipe each piece with a clean soft cloth to remove oils and perspiration.
- Store in a fabric-lined box, separately or individually-wrapped in tissue to prevent scratches.
- Never wear jewelry when doing physical work such as housekeeping, gardening or exercise.
- Never expose jewelry to household cleaning products.
- Never expose jewelry to chlorine swimming pools or hot tubs.
Tips for Cleaning:
- Follow the instructions appearing on the label or box.
- Clean in a secure location, not the rim of a sink where a piece may slip down the drain.
- Use only a soft brush, never sharp or hard objects, to remove dirt or particles.
- Clean your jewelry often; lotions, soaps and skin oils alter the optical properties of diamonds and gemstones, causing them to look dull.
- Seriously soiled jewelry should be cleaned professionally.
- Clean diamond jewelry with a soft brush dipped in warm water and mild detergent; rinse under running water.
- Never expose pearl jewelry to chemicals or solvents and store each piece in a soft bag.
- Don't expose colored gemstones to chemicals, solvents or ultrasonics without knowing their specific cleaning requirements.